Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 2 and 1half year old golden was out side were they were…

Customer Question
My 2 and 1half...

My 2 and 1half year old golden was out side were they were doing road work and they have a cement mixer and some buckets they use to poor the cement in and there is powder on the sides on the buckets and in the grass and I caught him licking the bucket that had powder on them and he threw up 2 times so far since yesterday he has eaten and drank water and I want to know if he will be ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sonny and he will be 3 in January

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sonny?

Almost 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sonny?

Nope great health go to vet on a reg basics

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sonny. Do you have any idea what this powder was that he licked?

If you lift his lip to look at his gums, do they look pink in color?

Can he keep any food or water down, or won't he eat and drink?

Without knowing what the powder is, I can't say for sure how he will do. In general, if a dog is vomiting but the gums are pink and he can hold down water, he usually gets better in a day or so.

If he is not eating, or can't drink or hold down water or if his gums are pale, he may need medical attention.

You can try famotidine (Pepcid AC) for the vomiting. If he can't hold pills down, then seeing a veterinarian for an injection to slow the vomiting might be needed.

Please let me know how he is doing and if this is helpful.

the powder was from cement bag that was being used by the construction workers on the roads they are redoing. and from the side of the buckets they used to poor the cement into and carry to the part of the job they were working on

Eating a small amount of cement powder should not be too serious.

How do his gums look? If they look pale, not pink, he should see a veterinarian.

If you tell me his weight, I can give you a dose of famotidine to try.

he weights 64 pounds gums seem to be pick I think

Good his gums are pink. He can take 10 to 15 mg of Pepcid (Famotidine) twice daily.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian