Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His right hind leg swollen around the muscle and he is

His right hind leg...

His right hind leg swollen around the muscle and he is limping

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Foot wasn't tender but when I touch the inside of his leg or his main muscle is he growled

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

3 yrs old his name is Mack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mack?

He is healthy as a horse he is up to date on all his shots. I would like to know what I could give him for the pain and swelling

What can I give him for pain and swelling
10/30/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Mack has some swelling on the leg. You need a recommendation for an over-the-counter pain medication. Is that a correct summary of your question? Do you happen to have Aspirin or ibuprofen available?

I do Dr. Perry

Great. Can I please have Mack's estimated body weight?

67 lbs

Thank you. Mack's dose for ibuprofen is 300 mg every 24 hours. Monitor for upset stomach and give with food to limit nausea. This can be given for 4-7 days, but if swelling or limping is still observed by 4 days then it would be best to have him examined and possibly have a x-ray performed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Thank you Dr. Perry I sure will
Have a great evening

Thank you. You too.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****