Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog began whelping at 3 a.m. she gave birth to one live…

Customer Question
My dog began whelping...

My dog began whelping at 3 a.m. she gave birth to one live puppy; it is now 3:58 p.m. and no more puppies.. she is eating/ drinking and appears to not having any pain. I checked her and she has a green discharge ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Marlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

No she will be three in April. This is her third litter.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Marlie. What breed is she?

Sometimes there is only one puppy in the litter. Did you have an Xray taken earlier so you would know how many puppies to expect?

A green discharge always worries me. It can be a sign of "fetal distress", that a puppy is not being born because of some complication.

Sometimes a dog will have one puppy, and then a day later go back into labor and deliver the rest. However, the green discharge would be a reason to have her checked: feel to see if her uterus is still enlarged; take her temperature; do an internal exam to see if her cervix is open and if there is a puppy in the birth canal,; give an injection of oxytocin if there are more puppies to induce uterine contractions.

She should be checked by a veterinarian if not tonight, then first thing tomorrow if she still has the green discharge and has not had another puppy.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

Thank You I’ve taken her to animal emergency she is a Newfoundland.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian