Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shih tzu ate a bottle of perscription eye drops it is…

My shih tzu ate...

My shih tzu ate a bottle of perscription eye drops it is called Polytrim eye antibiotic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if Polytrim will be able to digest that. How old is Polytrim?

Its about 6 months old and the bottle was 1/3 rd full maybe 1/16 teaspoon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Polytrim?

It was used to treat my daughters pinkeye.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/29/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Did he swallow the bottle too?

Thank you

Did he swallow the bottle too?​ If he swallowed the bottle then you will need to watch for signs of the plastic causing a gastrointestinal blockage. The signs are lots of vomiting, diarrhea, pain on abdominal palpation, lethargy, and lack of appetite.

T​he eye drop itself could cause some gastrointestinal upset.

No she didn’t swallow the bottle. My wife caught her chewing on it. The bottle is very tiny.

I​f she does develop an upset stomach you can give 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC tablet for each 10 pounds of dog. It can be given every 12 hours as needed. Feeding a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice can help too.

I​f she does not have any signs or symptoms then you do not need to do anything out of the ordinary. Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions for me?

W​hen you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars. Then the website knows I have answered your question. Many Thanks

Thank you its been approximately 45 minutes since the incident. She is acting normal as of now. How long do we need to keep a close eye on her?

K​eep a close eye on her for 12 hours. I am not expecting anything exciting though

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you for your help

Y​ou are very welcome.