Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an eleven week old Pomeranian male. He keeps licking

Customer Question
his groin area and it...
I have an eleven week old Pomeranian male. He keeps licking his groin area and it looks like he has bitten the area a little. It's red. What's going on?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Pomeranian bleeding a lot?
Customer: No
JA: Phew. What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Little Bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Pomeranian?
Customer: I don't think so. He does like to bite.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 1 month ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello

He may be biting at that area due to:

1. An emerging skin infection we commonly see in puppies called a puppy pyoderma.

2. Could be fleas (even if you haven't seen any fleas, its still a consideration)

3. food allergies (even at this age, food allergies are possible)
4. mange (mites).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I find out if it's a food allergy?

Now, it might be a hypersensitivity reaction from some insect bite or sting, but we can't assume anything. What we know is he is clearly irritated and he is going to make it worse.

So, this is well worth a vet visit. You can apply some neosporin or even hydrocortisone cream, but definitely worth a vet checking out the skin to confirm the severity of what is going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did apply some neosporin, and he stopped. I don't think he likes the way it tastes.

Food allergy is low on the list.

Testing for food allergies is horribly inaccurate. A pet must be placed on a completely different type of food with a different main protein, and then it can take several weeks before benefit is noted. That should NOT be your priority at this time. Start with vet visit first to tackle any secondary infection, and to control the itch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks for your help. In the meantime, because tomorrow is Sunday and the vet is closed...should I consider treating him for fleas at home before I take him

Nope.

Why?
Well, I would prefer you get a good flea medication from the vet. I do not trust any of the typical over-the-counter flea medications you buy at a petstore.

If the neosporin seemed to help or even slowed him down from wanting to lick there, that can be reapplied every 8 to 12 hours.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director