Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My maltisee is licking his paws wet, his paws, around his…

Customer Question
My maltisee is licking...

My maltisee is licking his paws wet, his paws, around his mouth and his tongue are red

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Maltisse dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Chance, and he is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chance

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Are you able to take a picture of the areas that are red?

about a year, and its not red like licked raw red, its like a rust color that is turning his paws that color
no

Okay thanks for the additional information. It sounds like he has been licking his fur a lot which may be due to allergies. The rust color develops because of the enzymes in the saliva tend to turn light color fur to a dark brown color especially when they have been licking excessively

okay, what can i do

You can try a whitening shampoo to see if it helps lighten or remove the stains. Here is an example of a whitening shampoo. Click here . Also to get him to stop licking you can ask your veterinarian about prescribing an allergy medication such as Apoquel or a steroid to see if it helps if allergies are causing him to lick at his fur.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian