Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her stomach is hard and she is walking very tenderly. She…

Customer Question
Her stomach is hard...

Her stomach is hard and she is walking very tenderly. She did eat breakfast and drank some water, but has not gone to the bathroom for 9 hours now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, I don't see any. It seems to be something with her stomach, she is laying down but does it very slowly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 11 years old, a wheaten terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cassie?

The only thing I can think of is she did get a small taste (really only a lick) of some candy that was left out, but she didn't even eat any of it, just licked it, so I don't know if that would make her sick.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Cassie, please?

Regretfully, a tense ("hard") abdomen and walking tenderly are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Both abdominal and spinal pain can manifest as you've described. Spinal pain usually arises from muscle spasms associated with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk").

I got her to drink some water and saw in another response on your site that canned pumpkin can help "move things along" so gave her a scoop of that. She also seemed to respond to me patting her belly a bit more forcefully than usual. I was trying to see if she responded in pain so I could decide about a trip to the vet, but she kept leaning in to me and seemed to like the patting. About 20 min after all of these she showed signs of needing to go outside, did go to the bathroom and seemed a lot better right away. She's still moving a bit slowly this morning but everything else seems normal.

What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Yes, canned pumpkin usually acts as a bulk laxative. Please continue our conversation if you wish.