Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am fostering a 10 month old lab and she has bladder

Customer Question
Hi I am fostering...

Hi I am fostering a 10 month old lab and she has bladder problems, like always goes. they think it might her organs or might be that she is scared and has not had a lot of stability...I wanted to seek some advice as what I can do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A black lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?

Nope I do not think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can clarify "like always goes" for me, please? She dribbles urine when asleep, wherever she lies, when walking?

In the morning I will find it and she will sit and do it like right in front of me

Thank you. Does she posture to urinate or it just leaks out of her?

The times I have seen it, she postures like squats

Thank you. If she's doing so excessively (stranguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine), a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) is most likely. Her vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the presence of bacteria or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells - any of which suggest a UTI. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of therapy is completed in order to ensure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, her vet will suggest culturing the urine to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe. if the urinalysis is "clean" - no evidence of infection, a behavior problem exists and she needs to have elimination training revisited.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian