Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with hemorrhagic colitis about 5 years…

My dog was diagnosed...

My dog was diagnosed with hemorrhagic colitis about 5 years ago, lately his flare ups are more frequent and more severe. Currently he is on day 4 of this flare up and started vomiting last night even thought he really hasn't been eating. Current RX's are Metronidazole and Diawin, he doesn't seem to be getting any relief.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Yes, multiple messes, multiple times a day. Nothing unusual that I know of. He has been on a bland K-9 diet for several years and that has not changed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Noah, he is 15 lbs and 7 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Noah?

He will have multiple flare ups a year but usually under control in a day or 2, never had the vomiting before and never this many days. His tale tell before a flare up is lack of appetite and so we know what to watch for but nothing is helping this time.

10/27/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that Noah is consistently having this issue and it has progressed to more severe this episode. I personally have had a dog that has done this and she progressed to emergency status with one episode which turned into a food allergy after years of flare ups (along with inflammatory bowel disease).

I would consider doing additional testing at this point even if the signs are similar to the past presentation because I have been fooled in my own pet thinking it was the same old thing but turned into a very very severe episode because I wasn't aggressive with diagnostics after 3 years of intermittent episodes as you described. First treating his issues now with either in house injectables with your veterinarian or talking to your vet about how to control his current progression. Next:

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies. This is very different from the bland gi diet approach

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.

3.) Unfortunately the next step is abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

When my dog would have flare ups after her last episode that was so severe she would break with loose stools again :(

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with. I hope you are able to control his progression swiftly, especially with the weekend almost upon us

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian