Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has a real bad cough. Jake 8 yrs. No he has been a real…

He has a real...

He has a real bad cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Jake 8 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?

No he has been a real healthy dog. We recently had a bad flea problem. Other than that he has been fine.

10/27/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

Dogs don't get colds like humans, but they can develop upper respiratory illnesses such as kennel cough and canine influenza as well as bronchitis and inhaled allergies. Just like humans dogs can get bronchitis. You can read about bronchitis here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chronic-bronchitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dogs can also be allergic to inhaled things like pollens, air fresheners, cleaning supplies, dust, etc. This will often cause sneezing and nasal congestion even some eye issues. If this is the case, Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

You can read about these here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=479

Kennel cough is normally contracted when a dog has been boarded or kenneled or around a large number of dogs such as at a dog show, dog park or pet store. In most cases an adult dog will have it for about 3 weeks before recovering without treatment. Often a vet will supply antibiotics if it is a pup that has contracted kennel cough. Here is a website with more information on kennel cough. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=452

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. Here is an excellent site on it.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/canine-influenza-virus-dog-flu/page1.aspx

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and may require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover.

To help your dog breathe easier you can run a NON-medicated humidifier in the room your dog is in, or sit in a steamed up bathroom with your dog to help keep the mucous moving. Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. It should only contain dextromethorphan and Guaifenisen. and should NOT contain pseudoephedrine. If your dog has not had a vet visit in a while or a heart condition is suspected you should not give Robitussin until it is ruled out as it can mask heart issues. Dosages can be obtained at this website.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

There are other reasons for coughs such as heart problems which should be investigated if your dog is not on heartworm preventative or is an older dog. The following site goes over canine coughs.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cough.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/chest-lung-conditions.aspx

Your dog could be doing what is called a reverse sneeze or a collapsing trachea. Here is a site on reverse sneezes and one on collapsing tracheas.

http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/tracheal_collapse.htm

Valley fever is also an issue in some states which you can read about here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/valley-fever-in-dogs

So if he is coughing up anything, has any exercise intolerance or isn't eating I would have him seen as soon as possible to rule out a secondary bacterial infection or heart issue. At his age it would be a good idea to have him seen for a senior checkup. anyway.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner