Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Drinking tons of water and urinating. Urinating constantly

Drinking tons of water and...
Drinking tons of water and urinating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Urinating constantly even in the house
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Appears not to be in pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She is not like this drinking tons of water and urnitating constantly and in her bed in my bed and she never done this before.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/26/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Are you noting any blood in the urine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4 days, no blood in the urine

Okay thanks for the additional information. What type of dog is Bella? A common cause for excessive drinking and urinating in young dogs is an urinary tract infection. If that is the case then she may need her urine tested to rule out an infection

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's a lab and pit bull mix she is 62lbs. I took her to the vet today and I am looking for a second opinion. Her creative level was 2.0 and I was told she's in acute renal failure and she was put on an antibiotic but she doesn't exhibit any symptoms other than excessive thirst and urination
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Creatine *
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told they couldn't give me a prognosis and I basically have to wait a month to see if she will pull through

Is she showing any signs of lethargy, vomiting or loss of appetite? Do you know what her BUN level was?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No lethargy at all she's playing normally and eating, drinking, bowel movement is normal, no vomiting. They did not tell me BUN but I plan on requesting the lab work up tomorrow.

Yes I would recommend the you get a copy of the labwork. Most dogs who are in acute renal failure are extremely lethargic, vomiting, or has a decreased appetite. So that seems unusual that she is acting normal with a diagnosis of acute renal failure. Which antibiotic was she placed on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Metronidazole 500mg q12hrs for 10 days, she was also placed on a prescription renal dog food

Did they test her urine for a urinary tract infection? Usually that medication works well for diarrhea in my experience but not so much for urinary tract infections. So that wouldn't be my first choice if I was treating a urinary tract infection

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The UTI was my first thought but they said they did a UA and that she did not have a UTI

Did they send the urine out to the lab? Is she spayed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is spayed, no they tested in house

I would recommend double checking a sample out to the lab to rule out in house lab error which can occur occasionally. If both results show no infection then it may be something else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I am going to try to make an appointment with a different vet tomorrow to retest everything as I just don't feel right about what I was told.

Yes hopefully you will get a better answer with a different vet. I still strongly suspect an urinary tract infection unless proven otherwise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much Dr. Alleyne!

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian