Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a shih tzu female. She came into heat and was mated…

Customer Question
We have a shih...

We have a shih tzu female. She came into heat and was mated with our male shih tzu. The 63 days have come and gone and still no puppy(s). However she has milk in her breast. Is she still likely to have a puppy or is it false pregnancy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

We have a female shih tzu and she came into heat and was mated with our male shih tzu. The 63 days have come and gone and still no puppy(s). However she has millk in her breasts. Is she still likely to have a puppy or is it false pregnancy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She isn't hurting. She is very happy and playful.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Shasha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shasha?

No. She is in good health. This is her fourth time to have puppies. Twice she has had one and had 2 one time. She had no problems delivering them.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok

Has she gotten a noticeably larger abdomen? Even with only one pup I would expect a noticeable change in abdomen size, especially if she has been fed appropriately to support fetal growth/development.

Has she had radiographs or an ultrasound done recently so that you know how many puppies to expect? That may be a good idea if she goes another couple of days with no signs of impending labor.

It is possible that she is not pregnant and that this may be a false pregnancy. This can occur after a normal heat cycle, even with a breeding.

This is because hormonal changes in a dog are very similar whether they are bred or not.

In a pregnant dog the female's hormones fall off and the pups respond with their own hormones which leads to delivery.

In a nonpregnant dog there just isn't any pup stimulation. But some dog's bodies get confused and they feel like they are pregnant.

They may pick a toy to mother, may even build a nest and produce milk. Some bitches produce milk several days before delivery too, so just because there is no pup yet doesn't confirm she isn't pregnant.

We do know that if a bitch's mother had false pregnancies then she is likely to have them as well. And once they have one false pregnancy they are likely to have one with every heat cycle where a successful breeding doesn't take place.

It doesn't mean that she isn't fertile or that there are hormonal problems with her. She could be successfully bred on her next heat if you wanted to. If she hasn't had radiographs taken then I would consider that she may not be pregnant but it is probably something that you want to confirm.

Of course with a history of very small litters it is entirely possible that she has one puppy and just isn't very big. Even so with going past her due date we also want to make sure she doesn't have one large pup present that is too big to pass through her pelvis. The longer the pup has in utero the more chance we have of that complication. If the pup is already too big it is best a planned c-section is done.

Best of luck with your girl, hopefully you will have healthy pups in a day or two. Let me know if something I've written wasn't clear or you have more questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****