Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Sore on the top of my dogs nose looks like she scraped it…

Sore on the top...

Sore on the top of my dogs nose looks like she scraped it the hairs missing between the Ridgeline of the air in the nose swollen a little and a little bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No... she’s 5 just started to show about 10 days ago

It started off small but has expanded over several days.... we bather her 10 days ago....I don’t see her scratch it... guessing she scraped it running thru bushes to chase chipmunks...?
10/26/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thanks Dr Mike.

Thank you for the pic. A simple injury shoudn't expand as you've described. An injury that had become infected, however, will. Both bacterial and fungal infection need to be considered and I believe that a fungal infection is the more important consideration seeing how well circumscribed this lesion is and where it's located. Her vet will need to fungal culture hairs at the periphery of this lesion and perform a cytology which describes a microscopic exam of a small sample of the affected skin surface looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria. It's important to clarify if fungal infection is present because these fungi are zoonotic; in other words, contagious to you and other pets. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian