Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is not eating and her stomach is gurgling sounds liquid…

She is not eating...

She is not eating and her stomach is gurgling sounds liquid however when I walked her last night she had a normal bowel movement. She's been picky about her food for the last week or so barely eating yet she'll eat a crunchy dog treat so it's not her teeth. thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dakota - she was abandoned in our neighborhood and we took her in 13 years ago and she was at least 1 yr or maybe 1 1/2 so I'd say 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dakota?

She's still very active and is up to date on all shots and medications

10/26/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I am a little concerned since she is an older dog.

Has there been any vomiting?

When is the last time she ate?

Is she still bright and alert?

Paul

She did vomit one night this week after I gave her some chicken and gravy mixed in her dry food
She did eat some dinner last night no breakfast she had a milk bone this morning
She's very alert and wagging her tail

Okay.

At this point I am not too worried.

I would hold off on giving her anything other than her regular food for now.

But I would NOT feed her this morning.

Offer her water throughout the day.

And update me this afternoon UNLESS she vomits again.

Make sense?

Paul

thanks

You are welcome.

Talk soon.

And dont forget to rate me- that is how I am paid.

Paul

I don’t really have anything to rate you on yet we’re not sure what’s wrong with Dakota? Thanks

How is she doing?

I suspect that we are dealing with acute gastritis or less likely pancreatitis.

Paul

She seems fine what other symptoms should I look for?

I would monitor for vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal discomfort.

Thanks

Welcome :)

Hi - so I looked up both acute gastritis and pancreatitis and that could be it based on the symptoms. I haven't given her anything other than a couple of milk bones as treats when I left the house which she gobbles right up and she's drinking water and is alert and has been out a few times no vomiting since two nights ago just not eating much. We are guilty of giving our dogs table scraps and as she has gotten older she has become more picky about her dry food if there are not scraps or wet dog food mixed in she typically won't eat it. Is there anything okay to add to her food? I bought two different senior types of dry dog food trying to get her to eat and she's not too interested in those however if I give her some of that kibble as a treat she eats it. What do you think about dog probiotics? So do I do the rating now since we are still seeing how she's doing or wait until later? Thanks

Hi.

Thanks for the follow-up.

You can add cooked hamburger or chicken to her food.

And a little gravy would be fine.

Dog probiotics are over rated but if you want you can use fortiflora- wont hurt lol.

You can rate me now and this link will still stay open and there will be no extra charges for you going forward so you can follow-up with me.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian