Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a Costco chicken carcass.....the entire

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a Costco chicken carcass.....the entire thing....it has been 1.5 days..he seems fine, is still eating and has pooped. Will he pass all the bones? We have not seen them yet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ringo...age 8

10/26/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

thank you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, continue to monitor your Ringo and see what happens. There are really not many other options as it would be contraindicated to induce vomiting to make him sick to recover the chicken carcass because of sharp objects like chicken bones. But the good news is that in my experience most dogs will get way with this sort of incident, it is a common occurrence which vets advise on frequently.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. For your dog to swallow this chicken carcass he would have to crunch it into smaller pieces and they may well pass OK. Also some digestion and softening of chicken bones is possible by the stomach acids which will help them eventually pass.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet again without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be generally unlikely though.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Ringo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

should we continue to feed him? If so, any special diet?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. In these sorts of situations it will be safe enough to just feed him as you normally would.

2. But just keep a bit of an eye on him ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ringo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken carcass ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

seems ok...his stools have been alternatively regular then loose. we have not seen any bones pass. Do the bones dissolve?

That all sounds very encouraging, very often owners do not see the bones in the dog's faeces after these events so I guess they must dissolve to some extent.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian