Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 9.5 yr old German Shepherd has not been eating like

Customer Question
Our 9.5 yr old...

Our 9.5 yr old German Shepherd has not been eating like normal. He is drinking water and still wants his treats. We have checked his teeth and doesn‚Äôt show any signs of inflamed gums, cracked or broken teeth. We recently changed his food and he just quit eating it, we went back to the previous food and he ate really well for about a week and now is taking more than a day to eat his food again. He still runs around the back yard and barks at people and to the other dogs in the neighborhood. ūüėĀ. But he is losing weight he was ill a few weeks ago but after feeding him basically a bland diet, he bounced right back.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Pele Griffard like the soccer player

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pele?

My husband went back to work after being home since 2014 has been back full time since June.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Pele is not eating as usual. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he drinking more than usual?

4- Any other symptoms?

No vomiting or diarrhea, normal water intake, no other symptoms

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, you are right to suspect that dental disease could affect Pele's appetite. But, there are many other medical conditions that need to be ruled out. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing as he is not showing any other symptoms, I am sorry. But, common causes are infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, Pele will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter