Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog ate chicken wings anytime between 7hrs ago to now. What

should I do? Should I...
Dog ate chicken wings anytime between 7hrs ago to now. What should I do? Should I be worried? He is a 60 lb standard poodle.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/24/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Unfortunately, dogs eat bones of all sorts all the time but, fortunately, they rarely suffer any adverse consequences from doing so because stomach acids can help soften them. As a result, in most cases, if not a huge amount was eaten. then they will pass through the stomach and intestines with no problem. They might cause a little irritation as they are passing through which might result in looser stools for a day or so but this quickly resolves.

I don't typically suggest that vomiting be induced to retrieve chicken wings (or other bones) since to do so could cause damage to the esophagus or the wings could become lodged there which would mean the dogs are in greater trouble; what goes down doesn't necessarily come back up with ease, in other words. We hope that they will pass which they usually do.

Transit time is usually about 24-36 hours in most cases to give you an idea of what to expect although if the wings remains in the stomach for a while (which sometimes happens), they might not pass as soon as this.

It might interest you to know that folks who feed raw diets often feed their dogs chicken wings and I've yet to hear of them having a problem with an obstruction in case you were wondering if this might be a problem. Of course, it's always theoretically possible so if he starts to vomit and/or doesn't want to eat and/or becomes lethargic, then a vet visit may be wise.

What you can do to help move things along would be to increase the fiber in his diet by adding foods such as whole wheat bread ; increased activity/ play may also be of benefit.

I'd also monitor his stools for evidence of the wings.

I hope this helps, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anything I can do to help prevent the bones from splintering and causing internal damage? Any warning signs of that that I can watch for?

Is there anything I can do to help prevent the bones from splintering and causing internal damage? This isn't typically a concern or worry although I can understand why you might think it would be. The stomach and intestines aren't physiologically capable of affecting the bones in this way. In addition, the acids in the stomach soften them so splintering doesn't occur.

If the bones are gnawed on (as opposed to being swallowed whole), then there may be mild irritation to the stomach and intestines as I mentioned in my first response such that loose, sometimes bloody, stools might be seen; however, this is sort of problem is typically fairly mild and resolves fairly quickly.

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And. best of luck with your dog. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian