Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate spice cake with english walnuts in it. Leo is 2…

My dog ate spice...

My dog ate spice cake with english walnuts in it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Leo is 2 1/2 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?

He weighs 13 pounds

10/24/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thank you. Leo is a 2 1/2 year old Italian Greyhound with bad breath.

Friend, walnuts are not toxic to dogs, but, because of their high fat content they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. I would recommend you keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours. If he develops vomiting and diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Thank you very much. that is reassuring!
should I be concerned about his bad breath?

He may need to have his teeth cleaned by your vet or he needs friendly bacteria; you can supplement with a probiotic. In addition, brush his teeth with a dog tooth paste. You can buy this in your local pet store.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian