Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog (an eskimo mix) ate chicken grease and has vomited…

Our dog (an eskimo...

Our dog (an eskimo mix) ate chicken grease and has vomited 3x and has diarhea. He also had blood in his stool. Should I take him to a vet? His demeanor is peppy. Once he pooped and threw up he was runnning around a bit. But still has a little red on his bum.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jasper. He is 4. He weighs about 30 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?

Know. He's very healthy, eats healthy but got a hold of the chic***** *****d from a roasted chicken last night.

10/24/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I​ need a little more detail please. When did he eat the grease? Is he able to keep water down? How much blood is in the stool? Is the diarrhea watery or just soft?

He ate it last night at dinner (7pm PST) He drank water just now and seems fine. The diarhea came out red and brown. Then he proceeded to try and poop with just drops of diahrea with a red tint to it. The diarhea was soft the first time. Then a few times watery. He then threw up again and drank water as soon as he came in. He seems to be doing ok now but I don't know what to look for.

Okay so check his gums. If he is in shock or dehydrated they will be pale or dry.

Normally my rule of thumb is if you are seeing more than a teaspoon of blood in the stool in a dog his size then he should see a vet.

The grease can cause inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is located under his right rib cage at the top of the abdomen. Try pressing deeply there and see if he is tense or painful.

His gums look good.

Also if he can not keep water down for more than 12 hours he should see a vet as well.

No pain. Ok, we watch for if he vomits again and take him in. Thank you so much!!

If he is still active and alert, and his abdomen is not sensitive when you press, then you can try over the counter treatments for tonight. But if he is continuing to have diarrhea with more blood then she does need to see the vet, Also if he has watery diarrhea he should see the vet. You can give him 1 tablet or 1 tablespoon of human pepto bismol to help settle his stomach.

No food tonight. He can have water as long as he is not vomiting. If he starts to vomit the water then pick up the water dish and try the water again in a few hours.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Ok. Thank you again

In the morning, if he seems to be back to normal then he can have a bland diet like plain cooked ground beef rinsed of fat mixed with cooked white rice or plain cooked chicken with cooked white rice. Start with one spoonful and see if he has vomiting or diarrhea. Wait an hour. If he does well he can gradually have more of the bland diet. If he can not tolerate the bland diet then he does need to see the vet.

Glad to help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Our dog is doing well. He was back to his peppy self first thing in the morning. Thank you for your help!

Good news. Thanks for letting me know.