Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is coughing and trying to be sick. He ate a chicken…

Hi. My dog is...

Hi. My dog is coughing and trying to be sick. He ate a chicken bone earlier in the day and I am wondering if this is causing the problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if Coughing will be able to digest that. How old is Coughing?

It started earlier this evening, around 4 hours ago. Stopped for a while and dog slept, but he has now woken himself up coughing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coughing?

He may have eaten a small amount of a fluffy fleecy toy too, but I am not sure.

10/24/2017
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you. How old is the dog and what breed?

Hi. He is 8 months old, a greyhound cross

Ok, thank you, ***** ***** helpful. What is the dog's name? Does he have any health problems, like a heart murmur?

His name is*****'s had no health problems before today

Ok, I like to use their names while I'm typing. Has Corey brought anything up with the coughing or vomited at all? Did he eat dinner?

He ate his dinner. He seems to be bringing up a bit of fluid but then swallowing it again. He seems to be both coughing and trying to be sick at the same time

Ok, thats good that he has an appetite. I think its possible the chicken bones or possibly the fluff may have irritated his throat, and may be also causing some irritation in his stomach.

How much does Corey weigh?

He is around 13kg

Ok, I would suggest giving him a dose of Famotidine (Pepcid). It acts as an antacid that will help with any tracheal irritation and tummy upset.

I would repeat the dose in 12 hours, while continuing to monitor the appetite and the cough. If he stops eating, vomits, or the cough does not go away he may need to see his vet for some x rays!

Ok, thanks for your help

You're welcome. Do you have any Pepcid at home or do you think you can get some from the pharmacy?

I am in the UK, so not sure

I saw that - let me look it up really quick.

Ok, it looks like it is available in the UK over the counter! Corey's dose is going to be the 10mg tablets - 1 whole tablet. The trade name is*****

Alternatively, we could try something you have at home. Do you have Pepto Bismol?

Unfortunately I am away from home. He does seem to have stopped coughing now. Hopefully might settle now. I will pick up something in the morning

Ok, you should be able to get Pepto Bismol over the counter too if needed. I'm glad he has stopped coughing for now! Let me know how he is in the morning!

Please let me know if you have any further questions tonight, and please kindly rate me using the stars at the top. :)

Dr. Snow

Sarah Snow
Thanks for your help!

You're welcome!