Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I need to know if organic skinless and boneless chicken

I need to know...

I need to know if organic skinless and boneless chicken breast is good for my 8 pound poodle?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the poodle?

The poodle CoCo is diabetic and I have been feeding her infrared cooked chicken breast and diabetic kibble

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry the poodle has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the poodle's name and age?

CoCo is 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CoCo?

She is very alert, plays a lot, is peppy but not extremely active. She is doing well on an insulin shot after her morning and evening meal.

10/24/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Is it a whole chicken breast at a sitting ?

I would recommend giving 1/4 to 1/3 of a chicken breast at a sitting as there is so much protein in the chicken that it is overfeeding her and surpassing her caloric needs.

How long has she been well regulated on her diabetes ?

The chicken breast itself is not bad for her just do not want to be over doing her calories if that makes sense.

She gets about 1/4 to 1/3 of a chicken breast plus about 1/4 cup of Dr. Hills prescription kibble.
I was concerned because someone (supposedly and expert) said that there is something in chicken that is harmful to dogs. I can hardly believe this since the chicken I use has no antibiotics or hormones and it is not barbecued but cooked with infrared which is supposedly safe.
I just want to know if chicken is harmful, please.

Overdoing the calories she needs can create issues later on because the body wants to store the extra nutrients so we can get more fat and the body also tries to keep as much of the protein as possible in the body but the kidneys (which are responsible for putting protein back in the blood) have to work overtime to do this and over time it can lead to kidney disease later in life.

You are doing exactly right. Chicken is fine for dogs. In fact it is ideal because it is low fat and easy to digest. I feed my own dog chicken from time to time especially when her tummy is upset. The only time chicken is not good for them is when they have a true chicken allergy which she obviously does not because you would see skin and stomach issues all the time.

So, no chicken is not harmful.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Have a good night let me know if you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Dr. Denney

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney