Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pug had surgery to remove a non-cancerous lump on her…

Customer Question
My pug had surgery...

My pug had surgery to remove a non-cancerous lump on her left arm that had started growing very quickly. The vet linked the lump growth to her allergies, which have been especially bad this year. Since coming home a couple of days ago, she gags quite a bit. She wasn't doing this before the surgery.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the pug's name and age?

So I'm wondering if her pain prescription, gabapentin, is the problem.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is So I'm?

She's almost 10 years old (next month) Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?

She has a luxating patella and, thus, arthritis that I treat with natural remedies (no meds). She's always been very healthy, aside from the luxating patella.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I'd like to restate that she sporadically gags (not coughs) now, if she gets excited or lays down to sleep. Other than the gagging, she's normal and happy. But I'm concerned because it sounds like she has congestion when she gags. Very odd since she had none of these issues 2 days ago before the surgery.
10/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're hearing/seeing?

Hi...I called her vet this morning, and learned that Lola's intubation during her surgery may have irritated her throat. The vet prescribed "cough drops" to resolve the gagging, and she's already completely stopped since taking a small dose. :)If she seems uncomfortable again in the next couple of days, then I'll pursue this inquiry further.Thanks!

Excellent news!