Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 8 year old male goldendoodle. He is house trained,

I have an 8...

I have an 8 year old male goldendoodle. He is house trained, but has been having loss of bladder x 2 days with a strong odor. He does not seem to strain or have pain. He has also been drinking a lot more lately. Concerned he may have a UTI?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Weight loss- probably about 10 pounds in 2 months.

10/22/2017
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Yes, the urinary accidents and strong odor may indicate a UTI, but the increased water intake and weight loss is very concerning and may be a sign of something more serious. I would strongly advise you to have him examined by your vet and to have labwork, including a blood panel and urinalysis performed to rule out metabolic disorders such as kidney disease or diabetes among others which may be the source of his problem.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
This is helpful. Taking him in. Thank you!

You are most welcome. Good luck with him.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.