Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Back legs are shaky and seems to be in pain just started…

Back legs are shaky...

Back legs are shaky and seems to be in pain just started last night...we have no idea what happened...he was let outside and came back in very restless and today was worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

1/2 Boston Terrier 1/2 Frenchie little over 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Boston terrier's name?

Male

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Male?

No issues

10/22/2017
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is he knuckling on any of his rear feet or dragging them when he walks?

Is he able to get up on his own to stand? Can he climb stairs?

I don't think so one seems to be bothering him more than the other he will only lay (still seems very uncomfortable and trembling) on one sideYes he is walking slowly....no jumping. He usually is in the bed but won't jump up or down. He climbed one step to go outside and in

It sounds as if he may be experiencing a problem with one of his intervertebral discs. These can lead to a great amount of pain and discomfort as the disc puts pressure on the spinal cord and leads to spinal cord inflammation. If it progresses, it can even lead to loss of function of the legs. If he seems worse today, I would definitely not wait and I would seek emergency veterinary services today. If that is what is going on, he needs to have anti-inflammatory medication prescribed as well as medication for the pain.

Here is a link with more information about disc disease in dogs. Link Here

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Is there anything I can give him to relieve some of his pain while I try to get a hold of my local vet?
When stepping into his dog bed he acts like he cannot lift one of his legs is that also consistent with above issue

There is really no over the counter medication that would be safe or effective to give. The use of aspirin can upset the GI tract and hinder the choices that your vet would have to offer.

It sounds like it is most likely due to pain. When we start to see loss of function, they usually seem to drag the leg more, but could all still be due to a disc.

ok going to continue to try to get a hold of my vet as I live 1hr 1/2 from vet emergency room
Thank you for your help

Good luck. In the meantime, I would keep him as quiet as possible and limit his activity to very little movement (best a crate if you use one).

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
DocPaul
Phone call session started

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

He seem little better...it is still tender but ate well and he is sleeping soundly. Thank you!

Thank you for the update. I am glad he was able to get comfortable.