Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Tonight she's been coughing up saliva. Kaylee, female

Tonight she's been coughing...

Tonight she's been coughing up saliva.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Kaylee, female greyhound, age 5 She's also seemed confused. Like she will just stand in random parts of the house and stare straight ahead for a few minutes

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Kaylee?

5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kaylee?

She had a bout of diaharea about a week ago but that cleared up. We boarded her two weeks ago at a kennel For 3 nights ok

10/22/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

To confirm- her main problems are coughing and disorientation?

Paul

It is possible that we are dealing with kennel cough.

This causes a dry (non-productive) cough and can sound pretty scary.

When they have paroxysms of coughing they can become weak and even dizzy. Does this sound familiar?

the non productive cough sounds right. I wouldnt say shes dizzy - her coordination and ability to stand seem normal. But usually she is quite playful and energetic, and she seems to lack that spark. She'll stand in the middle of the floor staring straight ahead, kind of like an elderly person with dementia trying to remember why she came into the room.I do get her a bordetella vaccination every six months, although she is due for one next month (and I realize that vaccines aren't 100%)

Understood.

And you made an astute observation about vaccines.

She is young so it is unlikely we are dealing with anything too serious here.

I would manage the cough as if it was kennel cough:

Place her in bathroom with shower on hot for ten minutes.

Do this three times a day.

This will humidify the airways and hopefully help with the coughing.

The other signs may or may not be related. Generally dogs with kennel cough are bright and alert.

It may be prudent to have her blood and urine tested IF she does not bounce back tomorrow.

Antibiotics are not needed at this point as K/C is viral.

Let's watch her tonight, humidify her airways and make sure she is eating and drinking.

Make sense?

Paul

That makes sense. Thank you.She is eating, is just as affectionate, and she did want to go for her nightly walk. So other than her odd "dementia-like" behavior and the cough you wouldn't know anything is wrong with her.

Well......kind of true.

I am not happy about that dementia behaviour.

Let's hope it resolves tonight.

Send me a note tomorrow.

And dont forget to rate me.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian