Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our Shiba inu has what appears to be an infection at the

opening of her ear. She...
Our Shiba inu has what appears to be an infection at the opening of her ear. She has scratched the fur off of a small circular area and there is green/ yellow pus. I cannot tell if it's from a scratch or something else. I've been cleaning it with peroxide since I noticed it this morning but I'm not sure it's helping. Should I head to the emergency vet or wait until her vet opens Monday. She is shaking her head a lot and that one ear is dropped down some.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Shiba Inu's name and age?
Customer: I don't think it's fleas. She doesn't have fleas and has been on trifexis for years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Shiba Inu?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 7. Healthy. Up to date on shots.
10/22/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry that Sophie is not feeling well.

I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly. Please just give me a moment.

Thank you for the picture. That helps a lot! So it looks like she has a hot spot or an acute moist dermatitis. There are many reasons why a pet might develop a hot spot. Sometimes it is related to allergies (food, environment, fleas) or a new shampoo or conditioner. Sometimes there is nothing that is different at all and they just pop up.

I don't think that you need to go to an emergency hospital for the infection unless tomorrow comes around and she is really painful and withdrawn. Then it might be a good idea. In the meantime, you can always try to clean it with a chlorhexidine solution like Hibiclens. It will be a little more gentle on the skin than the hydrogen peroxide.

typing more...

You can use this cleaner and then do your best to dry the area gently by patting it dry, not rubbing it.

If she is scratching at the area you will need an e-collar because the skin is so sensitive that it will bleed easily.

Typically, most cases of moist dermatitis, need to be treated with an oral antibiotic for it to resolve and sometimes a pain medication if the pet is really uncomfortable.

typing more...

I tend to not use a lot of ointments on these lesions, because the goal is to try to have it dry out. Now at our hospital we have a great powder called neopredef powder. This is a medicated powder. Obviously you can not get this just over the counter, but you could try to use a plain gold bond powder or something similar with no extra additives and gently pat it on after cleaning. This might help soothe the area and allow it to dry out more quickly until you can get her in for an exam.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

Like I said, it is technically not an emergency, but if she is extremely painful and not eating and drinking well because of the lesion, then you might want to have her examined tomorrow if you have a hospital close by.

BTW, the hibiclens can just be purchased at any pharmacy I believe. We use chlorhexidine all the time for cleaning wounds. Just don't rub the area aggressively. Be very gentle.

I hope that helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing or send me more questions!

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. We have hibiclens in the house already. I'll go pick up some gold bond powder. Thank you again.

Just checking in to see how things are going today. Does she seems a little more comfortable today?

Hope all is going well.

Have a good day.

Dr. N

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian