Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 14-year-old Corgi is limping this evening because she was

roughhousing too hard with my...
My 14-year-old Corgi is limping this evening because she was roughhousing too hard with my younger dog. Can I give her a baby aspirin for the discomfort?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds.
JA: What is the corgi's name?
Customer: Boo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the corgi?
Customer: Well, she was diagnosed with Addison's Disease about 8 years ago. She is also getting over a UTI and has been on Clavamox since Monday.
10/22/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

All right.

The only safe over the counter pain medications for dogs is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food but if Boo is on prednisone for the Addison's disease this would be contraindicated to be a administered with the aspirin

If this is not the case and she is not on prednisone/ dexamethasone let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

You can also massage the area and rotate warm and cool compresses in 10 minute intervals if your pet will allow it to provide relief

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

if I understand your advice fully, I should not give her any aspirin at all because she has been on Rimadyl most of her adult life (75 mg daily). Is that correct?

Yes if she is currently on rimadyl then she should not have aspirin

If you have tramadol that can be administered but rimadyl and aspirin are both nonsteroidals and should not be administered in combination as a result

Thank you for your help. I'll try the warm massage and see if that helps.

You are very welcome, I truly hope your senior friend is comfortable soon

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian