Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our puppy ate part of a rubber ball. He’s growing up pieces…

Hi! Our puppy ate...

Hi! Our puppy ate part of a rubber ball. He’s growing up pieces of it. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Lily. She’s a 9 week old Staffordshire terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?

She very fussy right now, probably because of all the throwing up.

10/22/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Do you feel comfortable in saying that she vomited all of the parts that she ate?

She’s not lethargic, not sure if she’s vomited everything. She’s very fussy.

What do you mean by Fussy?

Wining and restless.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

She keeps throwing up but seems to be having a hard time getting it out. She’s thrown up about 6 or 7 times. The last couple have just been liquid..

Friend, if she is restless and whining I am concerned part of the ball is obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. If there is an obstruction this can lead to damage to the intestines and even rupture with a fatal outcome. For this reason, at this point, the best approach is to err on the side of caution and have her checked by ER veterinarian. The fact that she has vomited so much further supports the possibility of an obstruction. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian