Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was choking on a purina chew bone. And we were able…

Customer Question
My dog was choking on...
My dog was choking on a purina chew bone. And we were able to push the bone down her throat. Shes fine but is now doing dry heaving. Im not sure if its bc her throat was scratched or what
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Lucy, please?

Those bones are completely digestible and so it should have disintegrated by now. Irritation in the oropharynx makes sense although I do need to consider bone lodged in her esophagus if she continues to dry heave. Hypersalivation would be expected as well.

Lucy threw up pieces of the bone and chunks of grass. She seems to be doing better.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?