Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a mast cell tumor that has spread and has a big…

My dog has a...

My dog has a mast cell tumor that has spread and has a big one in his rectum so he cannot poop. I've given him lactulose, milk of magnesia, etc and he still can't pass anything and an X-ray showed he is way backed up because it can't get out. He won't eat at all... the vet said it's time but I want to make him comfortable and try to see if we can just get him to poop and feel good enough to eat maybe we can work to shrink the tumor?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Ozzie and he's about 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ozzie?

He has a mast cell tumor on the inside of his back leg that has spread to his lymph nodes and the rectum tumor. we've been treating it successfully for almost a year then about a month and a half ago it spread rapidly

10/21/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Have they run the C-Kit test to determine whether it will be responsive to drug therapy. This will then shrink the size of the tumor.

Paul

He has been on chlorambucil and how labia alternatively for the past 10 months and it was working but then he collapsed with low white blood cell count about a month and a half ago so they took him off the chlorambucil and just the Paleadia but these were in pill form. I asked about the vinblastine chemo and an IV form when I saw the oncologist yesterday and he said it would do more harm than good because it might shrink the rectal tumor but could cause inflammation and release chemicals since it's my cell
Mast cell

Thanks for the information.

Have they discussed CCNU with you?

This is Lomustine and I have had some success with it in really refractory mast cell tumors.

no. what is that? is it a chemo drug given intravenously? what do you mean by "refractory"?

CCNU is given orally.

Refractory means stubborn, wont go away.

Here is a blurb on CCNU:

The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of a CCNU and vinblastine chemotherapy protocol for canine mast cell tumours. Fifty-seven tumours in 56 dogs were evaluated, 37 had macroscopic disease and 20 had microscopic disease. A 57% response rate was seen in dogs with macroscopic disease for a median duration of 52 weeks. Dogs with macroscopic disease had a median progression free survival time (PFST) of 30 weeks and a median overall survival time (OST) of 35 weeks. Dogs with microscopic disease had a median PFST of 35 weeks and a median OST of 48 weeks. Toxicity was recorded in 54% of the dogs treated, with the majority of events being mild. This chemotherapy protocol appears to be well tolerated and should be considered for canine mast cell tumours.

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul