Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dry heaving resulting in unproductive vomiting. His stomach

Customer Question
does not appear distended, and...
Dry heaving resulting in unproductive vomiting. His stomach does not appear distended, and he was around a dog that was potentially believed to have kennel cough. It’s sonhard to tell if this could be beginning of bloat or kennel cough. He had a cough for about a day - but has been a week since he has been around the infected dog and he hasn’t had many symptoms between then and now, until tonight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I saw. He was outside in the yard quite a bit but nothing usual is out there besides more leaves than normal.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Timber - he turned one July 4th or this year and is a standard poodle.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He’s been eating and drinking normally and acts pretty normal besides the dry heaving or cough
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Can he keep any food or water down?

Has it been a harsh of soft cough?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He just started last night about midnight with the loud coughing/;dry heaving.He last ate at 5 pm yesterday but has kept water down.It’s a harsh cough - I think it’s a cough anyways. It sounds like a cough bug also just like a lot of dry heaving.His gums aren’t pink and moist - pretty normal looking to me.No belly pain or tenderness that I can tell —also doesn’t appear bloated.He didn’t get into anything that I know of - he was outside in the yard quite a while but there agoulsnt have been anything out of the ordinary there.

Hello again,

Now I am very glad he hasn't abdominal distension nor pain. If those aren't present nor any paling/white to the gums, we'd be less worried about bloat here. Instead, we may have nausea (from a GI infection, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, etc) or it is possible to see retching post-cough due to throat inflammation. With this all in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care. Now with nausea suspect, we could treat with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. This could be paired with a mild cough suppressant to soothe the throat as well. Often we'll give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be used as often as needed. Or you could use Robitussin DM (at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours) but of course do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. Alternatively, we could use a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp every 12 hours) to cover both bases.Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting a soft and easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here but emergency bloat issues are less likely for Timber. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach and throat. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved to assess him for those above concerns and to check his lungs/airway for low grade kennel cough. Based on their findings, they can start injectable anti-nausea medication, gut safe anti-inflammatories, +/- antibiotics to get him settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian