Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Raw paw really bad, I know it's some type of allergy but…

Raw paw really bad...

Raw paw really bad, I know it's some type of allergy but going to the vet is a challenge as my dog has fear based aggression toward people. So everytime I go to the vet he needs to be sedated which makes it a huge bill. If I can avoid the vet and do home remedies I would prefer that first. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Bandit

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/21/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has Bandit had these signs?

Are the feet inflamed, swollen or itchy for him?

Any discharge, pus or odor?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

He just started showing these signs 2 days ago. Seems to be allergies as I have 3 other dogs of my own and I work for many rescues. I am just trying to do home remedies rather then going to a vet as like I said before he needs to be sedated. Bandit is one of my dogs I took in from one of my rescues because of his issues.
He back foot is inflammed and red and swollen. It's red in between his toes as well. He keeps licking it so I assume it's itchy. No pus or anything like that. I put aquaphor on it but he keeps licking it off so I need to get a cone for him tomorrow. See pic attached. Put a sock on him but he got that off in secs.

Poor Bandit, those are some sore toes there.

Now we are limited in what we can do at home, but we do have a few options. To start, as allergies can manifest this way (though there is concern of a secondary moist dermatitis starting there as well), we can treat with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Otherwise for the raw feet as well, we can start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Alternatively, we could use a good antimicrobial shampoo as a wash (ie Malaseb, Malaket --both from vets or Amazon carries them). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, that is perfect that you are getting a cone for him since the bacteria in his saliva will just make this worse.

Finally, just to make sure we are covering all bases, it would be worth treating for demodex mites for him. His breed is quite prone to them and they can play a role in skin issues like this. So, ideally we'd want to use a multi-species anti-parasitic (ie Advantage Multi, Bravecto, Revolution). If your vet has a recent weight for him, they should be able to dispense that without him visiting.

Overall, allergies often appear this way but the self trauma is causing some issue here. So, the above would be our next steps here for Bandit to see if we can get this settled so they can heal . And if we do have an allergy, once settled he may just need to stay on a low dose of antihistamine to keep him from relapse.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Bandit is large around 100 pounds, lots of people claim Benadryl really doesn't help. I will give it a go away. The wash will be a issue, Bandit doesn't allow me to do so, without biting. Bathing is even an issue, so I prefer to stay away from that. What is a good cream to get him? Can you give me some examples? Bandit is on advantage so we are good there. What do you think a vet would prescribe him if I go down that route?

Hello again,

Antihistamines are milder then prescription options (which his vet may use steroids or prefably Apoquel, cytopoint, or Atopica) but I do find them useful in patients. Of course, the dose needs to be appropriate as I do find many owners who visit us on this site under dose their dogs and don't give the medication any time to help. So, if he is 100lbs, he needs 50-200mg every 8 hours. Otherwise, you don't need to bathe him, those shampoos can be used to just soak the feet. But if he isn't keen then that will understandably not be a an option but some dogs will tolerate being stood in the bath with these in the water to soak the feet. As for creams, the ones I mentioned before (branded ones are no better then generic) can be used but with dogs that have these signs tend to be better on systemic treatment as they are affected in the skin generally but just target these areas. Finally, do double check that it is Advantage Multi you are using as the regular formulation wouldn't cover mites.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian