Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

3 year old min-pin has a strong fishy odor just recently.

3 year old min-pin...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Miniature pincher, about 11 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

She seems a little lethargic, sleeps more than usual, but otherwise seems OK.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the animal. What is the's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

No ... healthy otherwise.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear your dog is having this odor. It sounds like the anal glands are full and always the primary cause of this fishy odor, they are either leaking or expressing/ oozing on their own or with defecation but should be fully expressed to relieve the odor. These can be expressed by a groomer (not all groomers do this) or your veterinary office technician can also do this.

Here is more information on anal glands in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs

Until you are able to get this done there are a few things you can do:
- Warm compresses on the rear to help loosen the material in the glands
- Increase the bulk of the stool with fiber such as white rice, canned pumpkin (1 tsp for her size twice daily), or supplementing the normal diet with a light formula diet
- Increase exercise with leash walks 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily to increase defecation of the larger stools
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound given every 8 hours if she begins to scoot, lick her rear, or sit abruptly until you can get this taken care of but may cause mild sedation initially

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

She was groomed and eat expressed yesterday, but this started a week or two ago.

When a groomer does it sometimes the full glands are not expressed because they are done from the outside. Otherwise there can be an odor to the breath that is similar if there is a bad tooth or gi upset as well but not as common

Some dogs glands sit very deep and digital expression from the outside isn't as successful is the best way to explain it. I have a few patients that we have to do regularly for this reason because we go in rectally

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thanks.

You are very welcome, it would be a quick technician appointment to confirm or decline this possibility and minimal cost. If they are empty then have your veterinarian do an oral exam to ensure there isn't an issue there. Lastly a CBC to ensure there is no anemia related to the odor

Best wishes to you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian