Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a swelling in her stomach in front of her left…

My dog has a...

My dog has a swelling in her stomach in front of her left rear leg she doesn't appear to be in any pain and is moving freely and happy. The swelling us round and about 4 inches across

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella 6 years old mix between basset and boston

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

The swelling has been there for a couple weeks but just became noticably larger today

10/21/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Are you able to provide a few photos of the area with the paperclip attachment on your screen so I have a better idea of where this lump is?

I can take a pic but not sure if I can mark it...I'll try

I think it is worth a try, I am hoping to guide how urgent this is based on a photo but palpation and likely aspiration (poking with a needle) is going to be warranted

Received thank you. Although this is an abnormal location for a hernia this is my primary concern. I would very strongly urge you to have her seen tomorrow by your veterinarian to ensure this is not the case because if it is it can start as a small hole then enlarge and organs can fit through and strangulate therefore making this an emergency

In the meanwhile please keep her quiet, no jumping nor exercise as a precaution and please get her to your vet tomorrow

Sooner if there is any vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, straining to urinate or defecate

I don't mean to frighten you but I want to ensure this is not a hernia which is repairable but can be an emergency as well

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Ok I will do that..thank you