Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has as a small pink bump on the side of her nose.

where her whiskers are JA: I'm...
my dog has as a small pink bump on the side of her nose. where her whiskers are
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sophie and she will be 2 in jan.
JA: How old is Sophie?
Customer: she will be 2 in jan
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: she has early stages of kidney disease
10/21/2017
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello

I am sorry to hear about this pink bump.

Certainly, we can't rule-out a possible injury or even a insect bite/sting reaction. However, there is a concern that it could be a early growth/mass forming. A few growths that can appear red include benign growths like histiocytomas, and cancerous growths like mast cell tumors.

So, this would be well worth a veterinary examination, so the vet can see and feel the growth. If uncertain or concerned, the vet will likely recommend a fine needle aspirate test. That is where they stick the growth with one or two small needles to get some sample out to send to a laboratory.

So, first step is vet visit.

Second, determine if a needle poke test is necessary or not.

Third, maybe a steroid/antibiotic cream to go home to see if it is inflamed and can be shrunk.

Hope that information helps

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i asked 3 Drs. about it and they really didn't say much about the bump. I showed her kidney specialist which also specializes in cancer. her regular vet, and a second opinion. its been there for several months now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i was wondering if maybe her whisker got infected or a pimple. she digs a lot

Sure. Absolutely those are differentials. Certainly, a positive that it is not growing. That is one of the reasons I mentioned that a vet might elect to simply treat it with a topical steroid/antibiotic cream, to see if responsive.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the tech at the vet is calling it a possible wart, but the warts that I have pulled up. Doesn't look like that. the bump doesn't bother her.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has gotten bigger since the last vet visit, but the Dr.s just keep blowing me off. even the oncologist/ kidney specialist.

Ignore the tech. They are not a doctor and should not be commenting at all. It is misleading.

If not growing, that is excellent!
Cancer...by definition, is uncontrolled replication of cells. We really expect to see growth with tumors.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
has gotten bigger, but not much. its the size of a pencil eraser if not smaller. it started out the size smaller then that. I guess
I need to take her back to the vets.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have a picture

really small and not growing.

I am leaning to what other vets are saying (or not saying). Not of much concern, at this time.

But, worthy of continued observation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, so you think its ok for now?

:(
Sorry.
I can't say yes or no.
It would infer I am trying to give a diagnosis without having examined your pet.
So, not permitted to make a prognostic statement.
I hope you don't hold that against my rating. I have to keep my answer legal.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thank you
Dr. Andy, Medical Director