Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had diarrhea and after feeding him chicken and rice

for a week, he will...
my dog had diarrhea and after feeding him chicken and rice for a week, he will not go back to his regular feeding schedule and it’s been three weeks. He eats sometimes but not always.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zeus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zeus?
Customer: He started having an allergic reaction to something unknown about two weeks ago so I don’t know if this could be affecting his appetite
he is a pit bull mastiff mix 6 months old, not neutered otherwise healthy ...the biggest change was me taking him to the dog park for socialization about 5 weeks ago
10/20/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Zeus is having a chronic history of diarrhea for the last 3 weeks. It sounds like no other treatments other than a low fat food has been given so far. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

no sir the diarrhea was at most, two days. i took him to the ER and they gave me antibiotics and told me to change his diet to chicken and rice
when we were making the switch back to kibble, he began odd patterns of eating

Thank you for that information. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a few moments.

I think I understand the timeline better. He was treated for diarrhea, which apparently resolved, but the problem now is that he won't go back to eating his regular food. There is no more diarrhea present. Please let me know if that is not correct.

The switch back to the regular diet can be a little difficult in the beginning. If there is no diarrhea or vomiting then we are assuming that the pancreatitis has resolved. However, residual inflammation in the pancreas can decrease the appetite in 80-90% of cases as the only sign. Treatment in these cases is usually warranted by using an anti-nausea medication. Cerenia is one of the better prescription products, but you can also use Pepcid.

This may be just an issue with food preference. This can be best treated by slowly mixing the dog food with the chicken and rice. Probiotics are also helpful, especially since antibiotics were given in the past, which can disrupt normal bacteria in the intestines and alter appetite. You can use over-the-counter probiotics or even yogurt with active cultures (i.e. Activia).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

all that is correct. Last question, Is it possible that his hives, allergy, is causing an upset stomach?

Yes, it is possible. Giving Benadryl and Pepcid may really help if there is a problem with hives. The Benadryl will help if there are any hives on the skin, but the Pepcid will help reduce stomach acid, which is a consequence of an allergy.

dosage and frequency please? he weighs52 lbs

Pepcid dose is 10 mg (i.e. 1 tab) every 12 hours. Benadryl dose is 12.5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tab) every 12 hours as well.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
thank you
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian