Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4 year old golden retriever is being treated for

My 4 year old...

My 4 year old golden retriever is being treated for epilepsy. He is currently taking Phenobarbital 64.8 mgs - 4 daily , Keppra 1000 mgs - TID , gabapentin 100 mgs - TID,Bayer chewable aspirin 81 mgs as needed for high temperature. He is now having cluster seizures (3 or more within a 24 hour period). I am looking for other/additional options for controlling the breakthroughs. He is having them every 3 to 4 weeks on these doses.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Maxx

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maxx?

He had allergic reactions to most of the flea/heartworm preventers and as of July 2017, we are no longer using preventive medications.

Answered in 4 days by:
10/24/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question.

Can you tell me if Max has seen a neurologist to help try some non traditional therapies ?

Has your veterinarian discussed trying to wean down the phenobarbital and trying a medication called Zonisamide ?

There is also a diet Purina just launched that is having great results in all the studies and I have used with some of my patients called Neuro Care and it can help wean down the frequency of the seizures along with a medication regiment.

We can also look into acupuncture to help control the seizures. Here is link to a the page to put in your location and find a Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist because they can really help

http://www.tcvm.com/Resources/FindaTCVMPractitioner.aspx

I am sorry your dog is going through this. Cases like these can be really hard to manage.

Has Max had his phenobarbital Levels and Keppra blood levels checked ?

Thanks for responding to my questions. Maxx was on the Purina Neuro care diet for 4 months with no change. He started turning away from it and we had to add food to entice him. Likely this defeated the special diet.
We are checking his pheno titer (most recent was 35).
We have not seen a neurologist (living in a rural area, we are lucky to have access to a decent vet).

It must be tough being in a rural area. Is there a vet school in your state we can get him too or a major city in your state that has a specialty hospital. The hard thing about these types of cases is even if you were in a suburb with state the art facilities at the general practices we would still be discussing a referral. Neurologic cases are some of the most challenging because the brain is a complicated organ and as general practitioners we do not have access to MRI's or CT machines.

You can discuss with your veterinarian adding in a medication called Zonisamide and tapering down the phenobarbital or seeing how he does on a 3 drug protocol.

That is disappointing about the diet. Sigh I was hoping this could be a good option, but not every dog responds to the food.

Another aspect to consider is that if he is getting worse despite therapies there may be something more sinister going on like a brain tumor. This is not a common occurrence in a younger dog, but when I have a patient that stops responding to therapy I have to start considering if a brain tumor is possible.

The scary thing is that if this is Brain tumor ( with him being so young) it will most likely be aggressive.

Where are you located I can do some research and try to see where the nearest neurologist is.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for your suggestions. I am in Buckhannon, WV 26201.
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian