Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She has very aggressive behavior and I’m wondering if along

with avoiding certain health risks...
She has very aggressive behavior and I’m wondering if along with avoiding certain health risks it at change her behavior to get spayed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A ***** *****/dachshund mix dog
JA: OK. What is the jack's name and age?
Customer: Lady and we think she might be 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lady?
Customer: She was ina car accident a little more than a year ago and had a crushed pelvis and back leg. I’m wondering if this would effect surgery as well
10/20/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should I be concerned for her?

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Lady seems to be behaving more aggressively then you would like.

Unlike males, that are constantly secreting sex hormones and thus are consistently under the effects of sex hormones, female dogs only cycle once or twice per year. Thus for most of the year their behavior and personality is not affected much by sex hormones. That means spaying her is not likely to affect her behavior or attitude much. There are some exceptions, such as dogs that have cystic ovaries, but they are few and far between. If she has regular heats she is not one of those dogs for sure.

There are lots of health reasons to spay a female (avoid uterine, and ovarian cancers, avoid uterine infections), but aggression is less likely to be changed much by spaying a female dog.

Her crushed pelvis may make surgery slightly more difficult depending upon whether that interferes with accessing her caudal uterus to remove it. But in all likelihood it will not be a factor.

However chronic illnesses and pain can make a dog more aggressive. Perhaps her injuries and secondary arthritis and nerve pain have made her cranky.

It is worth checking some basic bloodwork, a urinalysis and taking radiographs of her back/hips to see if she has issues that we can help her with, getting her healthy and more comfortable, may change her attitude.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn’t even think about that! I’ll definitely consult with someone to get her checked out. Thank you!

You are very welcome, my best to your little one.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian