Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just got home and found my cocker spaniel ate an entire

hi- I just got home...
hi- I just got home and found my cocker spaniel ate an entire package of my husband's GU chews,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your husband's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is Lola and is 10 years old. There were approximately 8 chews, and each has 40 mg sodium, 20 mg caffeine and amino acids.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: No she's pretty healthy otherwise but naughty:)
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

None of the ingredients in those chews are toxic in the amounts present in 8 chews. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Lola wasn't intoxicated and will remain safe. The amount of caffeine might cause transient agitation, however. How much does Lola weigh, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lola weighs between 28-30 lbs, and appears
calm right now. I'm not sure how long ago today she ingested these, but think it was earlier this evening .

At 30 lbs it would take ~270 mg of caffeine to agitate her. She ingested only 160 mg. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your time and reassurance. It's much easier and cost effective than taking her and my 2 young kids to the emergency vet at night or worrying unnecessarily. Will respond with further concerns but looks good for now

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian