Hello, I’m after a second...
Hello, I’m after a second opinion whether to surgically remove a small but fast growing lump on our dogs abdomen.
Please allow me to give you the backstory:
Around beginning of August i noticed what i first thought was a tick on Monty’s lower abdomen, just to the sides of his crotch. A small hard oval dark brown lump, feeling exactly like a tick when it just attaches, before it has sucked any blood.
Within a week the lump had doubled in size and gone a bit softer and after three weeks it was the size of a thumb nail
, knobbly and craggy. At the top hard scarred skin the texture of rough skin on the heels of feet, the sides more fleshy, colour between grey black and brown, and not smooth but more like little lumps making up the bigger lump.
It didnt bother Monty at all, he never licked or scratched it, but of course I took him to the vets at that point. It so happened he had also developed an ear
infection at the same time, we just couldn't clean his ear enough and it was making squishy noises. At the vets we got antibiotic for his ear. Regarding the lump the vet didnt know what it was. She wasn't sure if there wasn't some puss in there, thinking out might be sebum of the glands, so she squeezed a bit, and the whole lump just fell off! Leaving just a tiny scratch on the belly where the lump had been. The underside of the lump was pink but also knobbly. The vet was quite intrigued as she hasn't seen anything like it before, but said we don't need to send it off to be examined yet, because they have to keep lumps for 6 months anyway, so if it growths
back, we’ll send it off then, if it doesn't grow, then not to worry.
The tiny wound healed well and beginning of september we went on holiday with the dogs for 3 weeks. In the mountains, with Monty being hyperactive at the best of times anyway, he lost so much weight in the first week i started giving him double his daily portion when i noticed his ribs showing. We honestly think this was just because rather than walking
he runs everywhere, he runs ahead, then runs back to us and that over rocks the size of him, jumping and running and swimming wherever he could, so he must have burned an extraordinary amount of energy. Back in the city now where the walks are on mainly flat land, he is putting weight back on and back to normal portion sizes, but i wanted to mention every detail in case its connected. After a week and a half on holiday I noticed the lump had grown back. This time it was two tiny distinct lumps in the same spot, not quite as hard as last time when starting off, and lighter in colour. Again they grew as fast as the one before had done and when we returned home they had grown together so two lumps became one. Also his ear infection had re-occured, most likely due to all the swimming. At the vets we agreed to have to original lump sent off for analysis. However they couldn't find the sample. The vet who had examined Monty the first time had sadly passed away, so they couldn't ask her what she'd done with it and couldn't find it anywhere. I was hoping to just have the new lump cut off with local anesthetic, since the first lump came off so easily, but the vet said they couldn't do that and removal would involve full general anesthesia and surgery. So we opted to send skin samples off instead. (His ear infection was also treated and is back to normal now.) The tests of the lump came back inconclusive, it was not big enough a sample to make a diagnosis, they found inflammation and some cells that i cant remember the name off, but can’t give a definite diagnosis without sending the whole lump in. The vet said it is up to us, personally she might have it removed because it grew back so quickly, but kept saying it's up to us and we could also monitor longer.
Now I am in two minds: on the one hand I wonder if the first lump might not have even fallen off by itself after a bit longer, so maybe it is just sebum or a wart and this one would fall off too, sparing Monty surgery.
Also I always worry that if it is cancerous and is removed it might spread and radiotherapy is meant to be particularly hard on animals, so i worry if removing it would be doing more harm than keeping it localised? Also of course i don't want to put Monty under unnecessary stress.
On the other hand, it did grow alarmingly fast (and is still changing in appearance now, the top is getting hard and crusty) and waiting might make it harder to operate later.
So I am after a second opinion, what would you recommend? And do you have any theories on what it might be? Could it be related to the ear infections at all? (He also has had swollen salivary glands in the past, so i wonder if it's all gland related?)
Thank you so much for listening/reading! I tried to attach a picture of the current state of the lump (or rather the two lumps that grew together), but not sure how.
Thank you again,
Best regards Xenia