Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just adopted a dog on Saturday. 9 month old German shepard…

Customer Question
I just adopted a...

I just adopted a dog on Saturday. 9 month old German shepard stray picked up on Sept 6 with an upper respiratory infection and emaciated. Had a course of doxycycline at shelter and gained about 12lbs and was then made available for adoption. She breathes rapidly but doesn't seem winded during long walks and climbs up and down stairs and hops on couch. Just watching her chest rise and fall quickly makes me feel nervous.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Oh my dog doesn't have a foot injury.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jesse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jesse?

No just what I've explained....

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Do you still need assistance with this matter. If so I have some additional questions.

Is the dog breathing the same when she is sleeping as when awake?

Can you count the respiration for a minute and let me know what that number is?

Has she been spayed?