Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is always wanting to be scratched he has no hot spots or…

Customer Question
He is always wanting...

He is always wanting to be scratched he has no hot spots or skin problems that I can see I treat him for fleas and ticks monthly and he is bathed and groomed monthly he licks his paws also

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is Punkin he will be 4 yrs next Feb 21

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Punkin?

He has been on temaril and prednisone at different time with in the last2 yrs

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would luke to assist you.

Food allergies may be a possibility. The most commonly effected areas of the body effected by a food allergy is the ears the feet and the rear If this is due to food allergies this will continue to be a problem until you find a food he can eat.

Dogs can develop food allergies at any times even if they have been on the same food for a long period of time The most common causes of food allergies in dogs are beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy.
The following article discusses how to do a food trial in-depth this is the same instructions we give our clients. It is recommended to try a different protein source such as duck, rabbit, kangroo or Bison and grain free We often see dogs do well on a different protein only to develop an allergy to this as well later down the road. Purina HA or Science diet ZD are top of the line allergen diets. These foods have had the molecules broken down to the point that the body can not identify what they are getting thereby eliminating all chance of an allergic reaction
Read more here
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=143
When trying a food trail it is very important that they get no other foods no treats or human foods as this will void out the food trial. This can take 6-8 weeks to show improvement so you must stick with it. Should you opt to try the trial and your baby is a treat eater here is a recipe you can make using his food as to not jeopardize the trial. This recipe is for science diet foods however any food can be used
http://www.hillspet.com/cat-care/kitten-care/homemade-treat-recipe.html

I personally like to recommend Natural Ba***** *****D. It is a grain free food with various unique protein sources that may help resolve the the itching issue.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 8 months ago

Checking in to see if you are trying the food trial to see if that helps the itching. Please let me know how the dog is doing.

Joan