Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a rescue dog (chihuahua) who is 5 years old. Have had…

I have a rescue dog...
I have a rescue dog (chihuahua) who is 5 years old. Have had him since January. All he wants to do is sleep. If I get him to play for a minute he then has had enough and it's back to sleep again. He also has reverse sneeze but not overly severe. I do take him for a short walk in the park next to my home, but he just spends most of his time sniffing around and not really doing much walking.
He is due for some vaccinations and I am concerned that might make him even more lethargic. One other dog I had had a reaction to a vaccination and I don't think a yearly one is really necessary. What do you think? Thanks, Freda
10/19/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell

Some vaccines are annual and others are not.

You should still have him vaccinated yes.

I would recommend that you have him checked for hypothyroidism also. This can make dogs very lethargic....

Hope that helps, Paul

What is involved with having him checked for that? And if it is that, is it dangerous for him? How does he feel?

Just a small blood test :)

Easy to treat with an inexpensive pill!

It makes him feel lethargic and tired.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Apart from being lethargic and tired, is it harmful to leave it untreated if that is in fact his problem?

They can develop other problems secondary to the hypothyroidism. So I would recommend treating him IF this is what is going on :)

Paul

What other problems might they develop? Your answers just create more questions; please be more specific then I can check to see if these possible problems my dog may already have.Another concern I have is that Peppi is terrified of thunder storms. He gets very stressed, and pants, and is all over me.

Lethargy

Arthritis

Poor haircoat

Weight gain

Myxedema (fluid under skin)

Heart disease- slow heart rate

is eating gum nuts dangerous for my little dog?

Gum nuts are not toxic no.

If she ate a whole bunch of them they might upset his stomach

And dont forget to rate me- that is how I get paid :)

Paul