Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just find out few minutes ago that last night about 8 pm…

Hello!! I just find out...
Hello!! I just find out few minutes ago that last night about 8 pm and today about 8 am I gave , obviously by mistake , to my 50 lbs labrador one pill of kerotolac 10 mg each time.
She had yesterday morning a mild case of diarrhea and i took her to the vet , they took the sample and prescribed Flagyl and a mild diet of chicken and rice.
For some stupid reason I put her medication in the same pocket as mine and never checked twice what container I opened. 😱😱!
Has been more than 12 hours , she was today in Doggie day care and they told me that she played and acted happy as usual. She has been with me since 4 pm and she is alert, happy and had her meal as usual with no incidents. No vomits, no sign of upset stomach !! Everything looks normal! What would you recomend?
10/19/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Alicia,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Ketorolac (Toradol) has been sometimes prescribed to dogs at a dose of 0.15mg per pound of bodyweight as a pain killer, but it does have a narrow range of safety in dogs. 50lbs x 0.15mg/lb = a top dose of 7.5 mg in Ganesha's case so there is some degree of concern because this drug has been associated with significant gastrointestinal ulceration in the dog even with single doses.

2. I assume the last dose was given more than an hour ago, if this is not the case then your should induce vomiting ASAP, for the sake of speed I will give you a link how to do this best. { LINK } If you do not induce vomiting because of the time gap then putting your dog on the likes of Tagamet for a few days would go along way to protect your dog's stomach lining. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how Tagamet is used dogs including dose rates etc. { This is an over the counter drug } : LINK

3. Of course if any adverse symptoms should occur such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia or abdominal pain then you should have a vet check Ganesha over ASAP. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

The last dose was given by mistake more than 12 hours ago (8:00 am)

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. OK, no point in considering inducing vomiting then.

2. The likes of Tagamet would still be be a wise precaution though.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Alicia Sandoval,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ganesha. How is everything going?