Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Diarrhea and vomiting starting last night. Not really. We

Diarrhea and vomiting starting last...
Diarrhea and vomiting starting last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not really. We were away on vacay. Family member watching at home. Spent Sunday at camp bowwow
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 3am this morning...started and is still having issues all day
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Sam is 6yrs
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Sam is vomiting and has diarrhea. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Did she eat anything out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Breed?

6- Any other symptoms?

No. He is not lithargic. Nothing out of the ordinary. He weighs 50 pounds. Mixed terrier. The hasn't eaten since yesterday evening.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Can I give him Pepto bismol? How much? Or phenergan liquid? Or zofran pill?

Friend, vomiting, and diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. I will not be able to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause Sam will need a hands-on examination with a veterinarian, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. Do not give Pepto Bismol it is contraindicated if the patient is vomiting. Do not give phenergan or Zofran. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian