Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog found a box of tomcat rat killer II. We didn’t even…

Our dog found a...

Our dog found a box of tomcat rat killer II. We didn’t even know it was in the house. She ate quite a bit of it. Her stool was literally *****, *****e color as the blocks of poison. We think she got into it yesterday but are unsure as it was outside in the garage.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

Tomcat Rat poison.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is about 85 pounds. UTD on all shots, she is excessively thirsty.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Can you tell me the active ingredient in this product? How is she acting now? How much does she weigh?

Active ingredient is Bromethalin 0.01%
Also contains Denatonium Benzode. She weights about 85lbs. We didn’t even know it was in the garage. She is excessively thirsty. She got into it sometime yesterday. We don’t know how old the rat poison is. We didn’t buy it and have lived here for almost 2 years.
She is a 10 month old Caucasian Shepard/Kengal mix

Bromethalin is a very bad potential poison. There is no antidote for it specifically. I would recommend getting to an ER immediately to try and induce vomiting to see if any more is in the stomach. I would then get her started on oral activated charcoal and keep her in the hospital for observation. Honestly, the last case that I saw at my ER that ate bromethalin that was having green stools ended up dying from the poison. When they are defecating it out, they have had it their system for a day or two and have absorbed a lot of it. IT is a neurotoxin. There is no specific antidote and all that can be done is decontamination and then treating the signs that arise. The dog that passed at my ER presented with green stools and trembling an weakness. She was already clinical and we were not able to decontaminate and then stabilize her.

The case at our ER was about a 20 pound puppy that ate the unknown amount of bromethalin. The bigger the dog, the more they have to eat to get to a toxic dose.

Thank you

I'm hoping for the best for her!

She is acting a little off. I called the vet at a local Emergency Center and they want $135 just to walk through the door which I won’t have until Friday. Do you think it is too late to use activated charcoal which I have access to as an EMT?

It may be too late to use the activated charcoal, but if she can swallow and isn't weak where she could aspirate it, it may have some help. With bromethalin ingestions, depending on the dose, it will be given as multiple doses over the first 24 to 48 hours to try and absorb as much as possible.

Thank you. Her breathing and everything is good. She is eating

The pure saving point here at this time with her may be that she didn't eat enough and is big enough to not let it be an issue.

Wishing on a prayer

More than likely the next 24 to 48 hours will be key to how she does. I'm hoping for the best!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thank you.

No problem. Take care.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian