Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I accidentally gave my 20lb dog the medication for my 40lb

dog 10mb claritin and 8mg apoquel...
I accidentally gave my 20lb dog the medication for my 40lb dog
10mb claritin and 8mg apoquel. Should I be concerned?
10/18/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. What is the name of both of these dogs? Is the 20 pound one on any other medications? How long ago did this happen?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I gave it to him about 10 minutes ago. He is supposed to take a gabapentin now and a carafate before bed but he hasn't had any of that since this morning.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bella is the larger dog and scrappy is the smaller. Scrappy also took a omeprazole this morning, he has a gastric ulcer

Alright. This shouldn't be a bad situation at all. The dose of the Claritin falls in the listed dosing range for it for a guy his size. As far as the Apoquel dose for Scrappy, it is above the normal dosing range, but it shouldn't be a problem. That dose for him is 0.88 mg / kg and it was tested in dogs at 3 mg / kg twice a day for 6 weeks and those dogs had some diarrhea and or vomiting. So for him to get a single dose that isn't even close to this testing one, it shouldn't cause an issue. There isn't a need to worry about these medications interacting with the other ones. There shouldn't be any overall issues or need to do anything. Only thing that needs to be done is to keep him on his own meds and not Bella's.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will do, thank you

No problem. Give the both of them a good ear scratching for me since I can't. Take care.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian