Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His left ear sounds like there is fluid deep in his ear....I…

Customer Question
His left ear sounds...

His left ear sounds like there is fluid deep in his ear....I took him in about 6 weeks ago and the vet said he had a slight ear infection....have been putting in the medication, but it doesnt seem likes it's done any good. He whines when you touch his ear or rub too hard. there is no redness

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Eddie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eddie?

He acts normal....just when you rub his ear he will whine

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 9 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

It sounds like the medication did not due its job or the infection has moved into the middle or inner ear. You can read about middle and inner ear infections here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2091&aid=1592

The following site has a recipe for a home remedy that may provide some relief though I recommend visiting the vet for medication.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

Zymox with cortisone has been used by some experts to clear ear infections as well. You can read about it here:

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Zymox.html

Since your dog is in pain, I do hope you have him seen since oral antibiotics may be necessary if the infection has moved down into the ear.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .