Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We are fostering a dog from the Humane Society. We have had

Hi, we are fostering a...
Hi, we are fostering a dog from the Humane Society. We have had her for 3 weeks now. I would say just a few days after we took her home, she started vomiting and having diarrhea with small traces of blood. Her stool was like soft serve ice cream. It also seemed mucus-y. We took her back to the Humane Society Vet as they cover her for 3 months. She gave us a dewormer and 5 days worth of antibiotics. Leila seemed to be getting better, that unfortunately only lasted a couple days. She is back to vomiting and having diarrhea with traces of blood. She has energy, and she has no loss of appetite. I will definitely be taking her back to the Vet tomorrow because they are closed on Wednesdays. Any info would be so much appreciated as I really want to adopt this fur baby I'm just so worried about her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Well my husband said that she had a BM on the floor when we first got her, and as he went to get cleaner, she ate it. Other than that, we do not give her any people food or anything. She eats Precise dog food, and the only other thing I can think of is that they have chew toys
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that I can think of
10/18/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now. Please just give me a moment, I tend to type a lot but I will be as quick as possible.

Okay, the good thing is that she has a good appetite and good energy level. I always try to focus on those things that are positive. If she were showing signs of illness, then I would be more concerned.

Couple things that might be causing her clinical signs. 1. Stress 2. Food sensitivity or allergy 3. Other metabolic problem.

How much does she weight? I want to give you some options to treat her at home, I just need her weight. Also how old is Leila?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is 3 years old, and weighs approximately 40 lbs

Here are some things that you can try at home.

1. Pepcid AC- This is an acid reducer and can be very helpful for dogs that are having stomach upset. It is also very safe and can be purchased at pharmacy. Her dose would be 10 mg twice daily.

2. Metamucil- Original, NOT flavored- May dogs that have diarrhea of various causes including stress colitis, are responsive to fiber. This is also a very safe alternative to repeated antibiotics and can help to form the stool. You can add 1 tsp of metamucil to her food twice daily and see if this help form the stool. Pumpkin works in the same way, but you have to use so much more pumpkin.

3. Probiotics- These are amazing for stomach upset. They come in various forms. Many pet stores have different types of probiotics. I think the easiest one to give is Purina Fortiflora- You just sprinkle it on the food daily and they love it.

typing more...

4. Diet- So ultimately all of this could be caused by her diet. She may be on the wrong protein/carbohydrate combination. She may be sensitive to grains. When I see these young pets for the first time, I typically just like to put them on a gastrointestinal diet of some kind or a limited ingredient diet and really minimize all the extras. Keep her diet as simple as possible with few treats. Also stick with one protein, don't mix it up. As far as a gastrointestinal diet, the only bad thing is most of the time you have to get it through a vet, but you could just try gradually transitioning her onto a new food with a different protein, but do it very slowly. You might want to start with the above things first and see if it works and if not then consider the diet change. You don't want to change too many things at once.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Soo very much! Which do you suggest I do first? Pepsid or metamucil?

Honestly, I would do them both at the same time because they serve two different purposes. The pepcid should help with the vomiting and the metamucil will have with the stool. If the vomiting does not stop after a few days, then that is when you may want to consider gradually changing her diet.

I hope that helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help. I think that that is a good place to start and most of the treatment suggestions are very safe and easy for you to implement. If at any point, she starts feeling lethargic or depressed, etc, then it would be good to have some blood work completed on her to ensure that there is nothing else going on. Also, If you can't get the vomiting under control, she might require stronger medication temporarily.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing. I will also follow up with you to see how things are going.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I check my messages regularly so you can always message me in the days to come with any questions. Diet can be the hardest thing to figure out, but it can work like medicine for some of these dogs that are highly sensitive to certain ingredients.

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you again. Headed to the store now! Will keep you posted and will rate you 5!

That is great! Thanks.

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian