Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog seems to be fine during the day but very restless at…

Customer Question
My dog seems to...

My dog seems to be fine during the day but very restless at night. He sleeps about 4 hours and then gets up and paces, pants, cries & will urinate on carpet if I'm not near him to let him out. We've been to 2 vets & $1000 worth of blood work & urine tests but nothing pointed to any issues. I read an article on hyperthyroidism & he seems to have some of those signs, including losing weight even though he eats well. (He's 76 lbs., should be closer to 90 lbs. & I'm feeding him like a 100 lb. dog.)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Kona

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kona?

He has inflammatory bowel disorder but it has been under control for several years. he's high anxiety to begin with

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Kona has these problems, however I have worked out an answer and a possible solution for you below.

1. I know you have put a lot of effort into helping your dog but there may be something further you can try, consider the drug Melatonin. This drug has been used to help sleep patterns in dogs that are very active at night and not sleeping at the right time. This can sometimes occur in dogs ( Sundowner Syndrome ) Basically Melatonin helps re-sets the animal’s biological clock so they sleep at night and are active during the day. Melatonin also has slight sedative properties by the way and it is often available over the counter or by mail order on the internet.

2. Melatonin has a high margin of safety in the dog by the way so if it does not help then the chances are it will not do any harm.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the use of Melatonin in the dog including doses rates etc. : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Kona is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his sleep patterns ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I have tried melatonin in past. I was told today to look into liver issues so back to vet on Fri.

Sorry Melatonin was not successful before.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian